This course WILL count towards the in-person requirement for the DAS program.
Course will run two half days---June 14-15, 2023 (1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. U.S. central time, each day).
Are you ready to build a digital archives program? This course will provide the core components necessary to gather support, engage stakeholders, and enact the change necessary to be able to handle digital archives in your institution. Participants will learn techniques for engaging collection donors and technology staff in order to collect and manage born-digital materials effectively and the importance of collaboration in building a digital archives program. Participants will be encouraged to share their experiences in working with others to accomplish specific goals.
Upon completion of this course you'll be able to:
- Determine who the relevant stakeholders are in your institution surrounding digital archives
- Articulate the importance of digital preservation to identified stakeholders
- Communicate with donors about their born-digital material
- Build a digital archives program within the context of your institution
Who should attend? Archivists, records managers, directors of special collections and other information professionals who may be responsible for managing digital archives
What Should You Know: Participants are expected to know basic archival practice. They should also know the basic issues surrounding the preservation and management of digital archives.
DAS Tier: Tactical & Strategic
DAS Core Competency:
2. Communicate and define terminology, requirements, roles, and responsibilities related to digital archives to a variety of stakeholders.
If you intend to pursue the DAS Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
Fees: Advance / Regular
SAA Members: $219 / $279
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $269 / $329
Nonmembers: $309 /$389
Responses to ""what aspect of the workshop was most valuable to you?"" included:
- “The group exercises were most valuable. Interacting with colleagues and archivist in the field revealed new insights from hearing their professional experience.”
- “I most valued the speaker's expertise and ability to outline workflows and concepts clearly.”
- “The planning documents - particularly the outreach plan – were very valuable. I see direct application to my work.”