This course WILL count towards the in-person requirement for the DAS and A&D program (foundational tier).
Course will run two half days (each day)---April 19 AND April 21, 2023 (12noon p.m. to 4:00 p.m. U.S. central time).
After a review of the fundamental principles of archival appraisal and appraisal policies, you’ll be introduced to the unique issues that need to be addressed when appraising electronic records. Real world examples will highlight the practical aspects of appraisal when dealing with digital records.
(Previously titled Appraisal of Electronic Records)
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Develop an appraisal policy for your archives
- Include digital records on records retention and disposal schedules
- Address technical issues (such as metadata and software dependence) that arise when appraising digital records
- Appraise digital records for your archives
Who Should Attend: Archivist practitioners, records managers, and anyone responsible for the archival appraisal of digital records
What You Should Already Know: Archival appraisal of records, as well as some basic knowledge about digital preservation and digital records
DAS Tier: Foundational
DAS Core Competency:
1. Explain the nature of digital records and their lifecycle.
3. Formulate strategies and tactics for appraising, acquiring, describing, managing, organizing, preserving, and delivering digital archives.
4. Incorporate technologies throughout the archival lifecycle.
If you intend to pursue the DAS Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
A&D Tier: Foundational
A&D Core Competency:
1. Arrangement: Understand the process of organizing materials with respect to their provenance and original order to protect their context and facilitate access.
2. Description: Analyze and describe details about the attributes of a record or collection of records to facilitate identification, management, and understanding of the work.
4. Management: Demonstrate ability to manage physical and intellectual control over archival materials.
If you intend to pursue the A&D Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
Fees: Advance / Regular
SAA Members: $219 / $279
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $269 / $329
Nonmembers: $309 / $389