This workshop aims to build capacity among SAA members and affiliates to advocate for archival issues in their immediate community, region, and state. You will learn how to identify, advocate for, and communicate effectively about archival issues to influence municipal and state decision makers. Over the course of the workshop, you will draft and begin refining an action plan for a real advocacy issue affecting your archival community. Exercises will draw from resources developed by the Society of American Archivists, the Council of State Archivists, the American Alliance of Museums, and other organizations dealing with state and municipal politics.
Presenters include Virginia Millington, Bryan Whitledge and Samantha Winn.
Upon completion of this course, you'll be able to:
- Identify a key advocacy issue to address.
- Compile effective background research and support materials on an advocacy issue.
- Identify and develop strategies to work with potential decision makers, allies, and opponents.
- Construct a framework plan to reach your advocacy objective.
- Assess and refine your advocacy approach.
Fees: Advance / Regular
SAA Members: $199 / $249
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $239 / $299
Nonmembers: $279 / $349