This is a one-day course covering the background, purpose, structure and use of the Data Dictionary and XML schema products of PREMIS, a preservation metadata initiative and maintenance activity based at the Library of Congress. Students will learn about the background of PREMIS, what constitutes preservation metadata, and gain some basic experience creating a PREMIS instance of preservation metadata.
Upon completion of this course, you'll be able to:
- Describe the general development timeline/context of PREMIS and its purpose.
- Explain preservation metadata in the context of PREMIS.
- Explain the PREMIS data model and core concepts.
- Utilize the PREMIS Data Dictionary in creating PREMIS instances.
- Produce a conformant PREMIS instance of core preservation metadata.
- Analyze their present metadata infrastructure to locate already-present and missing core PREMIS semantic units.
- Create change at their institution by promoting the incorporation of PREMIS metadata into their metadata infrastructure.
Who Should Attend:
archivist practitioners, archivist managers, archivist administrators, IT professionals, librarians, records managers
What You Should Already Know:
A basic understanding of data markup technologies (tags, HTML/XML) is recommended, but not required.
DAS Core Competency:
3. Formulate strategies and tactics for appraising, acquiring, describing, managing, organizing, preserving, and delivering digital archives.
4. Incorporate technologies throughout the archival lifecycle.
6. Employ standards and best practices in the management of digital archives.
A&D Core Competency:
2. Description: Analyze and describe details about the attributes of a record or collection of records to facilitate identification, management, and understanding of the work.
3. Descriptive Standards: Apply rules and practices that codify the content of information used to represent archival materials in discovery tools according to published structural guidelines.
If you intend to pursue the DAS Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
Fees: Advance / Regular:
SAA Members: $199 / $249
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $239 / $299
Nonmembers: $279 / $349