This course WILL count towards the in-person requirement for the DAS program.
This class will provide participants with knowledge of contemporary developments in the area of email archiving, introduce and build familiarity with the ePADD software, and provide participants with the experience and tools to advocate for and implement ePADD at their own institutions to appraise, process, and support discovery and access for email archives.
It will include a brief lecture and discussion focused on the context and motivation for development of the software. Technical concepts will be introduced and explicated. The remainder of the class will be devoted to demonstration and hands-on exercises taking users through specific ePADD modules and functionalities.
The conclusion of the course will end with a discussion on overcoming potential implementation challenges, as well as a review of opportunities to learn more and participate more fully in the email archiving community. The workshop will be beneficial for all those with a responsibility or interest in appraising, processing and/or supporting discovery and access for email archives.
Upon completio of course, you will:
- How to instruct a donor on using ePADD to appraise and transfer their email to a repository
- How an archivist can use browse and search features within ePADD to screen for sensitive email messages and attachments; and how to create, modify, and use labels to restrict access to that content
- How to support researcher use of ePADD to discover, browse, and search messages, including reviewing email and requesting specific messages and attachments
- How to support social network analysis, topic modeling, and other digital humanities research using available export functionality within ePADD
- What resources are available to overcome potential implementation challenges, participate in the user community, and join in the software’s development
Who should attend?
Practitioners, museum professionals, and managers.
Fees: Advance / Regular
SAA Members: $199/$249
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $239/$299