To access all on-demand webcasts, please login to SAA's Learning Management System after completing your purchase.
This webcast is designed to introduce participants to an overview of archival appraisal (or archival selection), particularly as it relates to arrangement and description decisions when working within specific collections or record groups. Participants will receive an introduction to why appraisal is important; an overview of situations when selection typically occurs; and tools to use or factors to take into consideration in archival selection. Participants will then be led through a selection of full processing case studies to apply what has been discussed.
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Understand why appraisal is a crucial component of acquiring, preserving, and providing access to archival material; when selection decisions need to be made; and what informs those selection decisions.
- Make more confident decisions about selection within collections and/or record groups.
- Understand how selection decisions inform arrangement and description practices.
Who Should Attend:
archivist practitioners, archivist managers, librarians, museum professionals, records managers, municipal clerks
What You Should Already Know:
No prior experience is necessary.
A&D Core Competency:
2. Description: Analyze and describe details about the attributes of a record or collection of records to facilitate identification, management, and understanding of the work.
3. Descriptive Standards: Apply rules and practices that codify the content of information used to represent archival materials in discovery tools according to published structural guidelines.
4. Management: Demonstrate ability to manage physical and intellectual control over archival materials.
6. Ethics: Convey transparency of actions taken during arrangement and description and respect privacy, confidentiality, and cultural sensitivity of archival materials.
You will have access to this product for 60 days from the date of purchase. Once the webcast is purchased, go to SAA's Learning Management System and click the Resources tab to access a PDF of the presentation slides and the webcast exam (if applicable).
If you intend to pursue the A&D Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.