To access all on-demand webcasts, please login to SAA's Learning Management System after completing your purchase.
Archivists are frequently faced with ethical decisions such as negotiating with donors, processing collections, digitizing materials for the internet, or working with colleagues. The SAA Code of Ethics provides a framework for archivist’s behavior. Often, though, the ethics code seems theoretical and abstract and can be difficult to implement in real world situations. Pressures may come from donors, supervisors, co-workers, and/or colleagues that cause an archivist to wonder how to navigate competing interests and still remain true to archival ethics.
This webcast provides archivists with tools necessary to develop practical solutions to ethical dilemmas through the application of the SAA Code of Ethics. Participants will come away with an understanding of the framework for the SAA Code of Ethics and be able to effectively apply the code to issues that arise in their archival practice.
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the SAA Code of Ethics history and related SAA’s Core Values, including the difference between Code of Ethics and Core Values for Archivists.
- Identify sections of the Code of Ethics and archival processes covered by each.
- Apply the Code of Ethics to real-world dilemmas.
Who Should Attend:
New archivists and students to receive specific information on the Code of Ethics; archivists who desire a refresher on the code or those facing ethical dilemmas; administrators, legal professionals, managers, and practitioners
What You Should Already Know:
A basic understanding of archival processes and the professional field. Some work (paid or unpaid) experience is helpful.
A&D Core Competency:
6. Ethics: Convey transparency of actions taken during arrangement and description and respect privacy, confidentiality, and cultural sensitivity of archival materials.
7. Risk Management: Analyze threats and implement measures to minimize ethical and institutional risks.
You will have access to this product for 60 days from the date of purchase. Once the webcast is purchased, go to SAA's Learning Management System and click the Resources tab to access a PDF of the presentation slides and the webcast exam (if applicable).
If you intend to pursue the A&D Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.