This course WILL count towards the in-person requirement for the A&D and DAS certificate programs.
This class will introduce participants to the basics of analyzing and manipulating XML data. Using examples in Encoded Archival Description and other XML standards, the course will build foundational navigation skills by discussing XPath, operators, functions, and regular expressions. Participants will learn how to use the same sophisticated expressions in the context of XQuery scripts to build reports and update the XML data.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Navigate XML documents using XPath expressions.
- Create data reports.
- Write simple scripts to analyze or transform XML data.
- Build on existing knowledge from the course to refine your scripting skills.
Who Should Attend: archivist practitioners
What You Should Already Know: Participants should have a firm grasp on structured data and some familiarity with XML. Knowledge of Encoded Archival Description is helpful but not required. No prior knowledge of XPath or XQuery is assumed.
A&D and DAS Tier: Tools and Services
A&D Core Competency:
2. Description: Analyze and describe details about the attributes of a record or collection of records to facilitate identification, management, and understanding of the work.
3. Descriptive Standards: Apply rules and practices that codify the content of information used to represent archival materials in discovery tools according to published structural guidelines.
4. Management: Demonstrate ability to manage physical and intellectual control over archival materials.
5. Discovery: Create tools to facilitate access and disseminate descriptive records of archival materials.
If you intend to pursue the A&D Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
DAS Core Competency:
3. Formulate strategies and tactics for appraising, acquiring, describing, managing, organizing, preserving, and delivering digital archives.
4. Incorporate technologies throughout the archival lifecycle.
If you intend to pursue the DAS Certificate, you will need to pass the examination for this course.
Fees: Advance / Regular
SAA Members: $199 / $249
Employees of SAA Member Institutions: $239 / $299
Nonmembers: $279 / $349